Our Practice Areas
- CRIMINAL DEFENSE
- Assault By Automobile
- Bail Reform
- Car Jacking
- Disorderly Persons Offenses
- Diversionary Programs
- Domestic Violence Defense
- Drug Crimes
- Drug Distribution
- Firearm Possession
- Graves Act
- Juvenile Criminal Defense
- Prostitution Offenses
- Receiving Stolen Property
- Restraining Orders
- Search And Seizure
- Sex Offenses
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Assault Offenses
- Simple Assault
- State Crimes
- Theft Offenses
- Weapons Charges
- DUI/DWI & TRAFFIC
- DIVORCE & FAMILY LAW
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Divorce Litigation
- Domestic Violence
- Emergency Custody Applications
- High Asset Divorce
- High Income Child Support And Alimony
- Parent Child Relocation
- Post Judgment Modifications
- Property Division
- Retirement Accounts
- Same-Sex Divorce
- Spousal Support Alimony
- FEDERAL CRIMES
Federal Weapons Charges Lawyers in Trenton, NJ
Criminal Attorneys for Clients Charged with Federal Weapons Offenses Throughout New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania
The second amendment to the Constitution guarantees your right to own a firearm, but that right can be forfeited for a variety of reasons. Even if you have a right to own a gun, you must comply with restrictions on the purchase and registration of firearms. It is easy to find yourself in violation of state and federal firearm laws.
Types of Federal Weapons Charges
- Possession of a firearm or ammunition by a prohibited person, including felons, fugitives, drug addicts, people with mental conditions, illegal aliens, legal aliens on a non-immigrant visa, those dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces, and anyone who has renounced their U.S. citizenship, is the subject of a restraining order, or has been convicted of domestic violence
- Sale or disposal of a firearm or ammunition to a prohibited person
- Straw purchasing of a firearm , that is, buying a firearm for a person prohibited from owning one
- Possession or use of a firearm in relation to or furtherance of any drug trafficking crime or crime of violence
- Receiving, possessing, transporting, shipping, concealing, storing, bartering, selling, or disposing of stolen firearms, ammunition, or explosives
- Possession or discharge of a firearm in a school zone
- Possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving any firearm in which the serial number has been removed, obliterated, or altered
- Transferring or possessing a machine gun
- Sale, delivery, or transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile
The penalties for conviction for federal weapons violations depend on the specific charges and facts of your case. Generally, penalties range from five to 10 years in prison. Penalties are enhanced by aggravating factors such as whether you in a school zone, whether the gun was reported stolen, or whether the serial number had been removed. Some charges carry penalties of up to life in prison.
Defending Against Drug Charges
At the Davis Law Firm, our federal criminal defense attorneys will review the evidence against you and explore all possible avenues of defense that are applicable to your case.
The first step is to determine if the police or federal agents followed proper procedure when gathering the evidence against you. If a firearm was found in your car, for example, we will question whether the police had probable cause to stop your car and, further, whether there was probable cause for searching the vehicle. If there was not, we will file a motion to suppress the evidence.
If you were accused of being a straw purchaser of a firearm, the government must prove that you knew you were lying when you when you tried to buy a gun. If the prosecutor cannot provide compelling evidence to support this accusation, you cannot be convicted of the charge.
The government must prove every element of its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Federal criminal defense attorney Mark G. Davis is a skilled trial attorney who knows the law and connects well with jurors. He is skilled in presenting evidence that raises doubts about the government’s case.
To learn how the Davis Law Firm can help, please call or contact us online as soon as possible for a free initial consultation.
From our offices in Hamilton, we defend people charged with federal weapons violations throughout New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania.
Spanish interpreter available — Hablamos español