Our Practice Areas
- CRIMINAL DEFENSE
- Assault By Automobile
- Bail Reform
- Car Jacking
- Disorderly Persons Offenses
- Diversionary Programs
- Domestic Violence Defense
- Drug Crimes
- Drug Distribution
- Firearm Possession
- Graves Act
- Juvenile Criminal Defense
- Prostitution Offenses
- Receiving Stolen Property
- Restraining Orders
- Search And Seizure
- Sex Offenses
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Assault Offenses
- Simple Assault
- State Crimes
- Theft Offenses
- Weapons Charges
- DUI/DWI & TRAFFIC
- DIVORCE & FAMILY LAW
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Divorce Litigation
- Domestic Violence
- Emergency Custody Applications
- High Asset Divorce
- High Income Child Support And Alimony
- Parent Child Relocation
- Post Judgment Modifications
- Property Division
- Retirement Accounts
- Same-Sex Divorce
- Spousal Support Alimony
- FEDERAL CRIMES
Child Custody Attorneys Trenton, NJ
Family Law Attorneys Helping Divorced Parents Resolve Custody and Visitation Issues in Mercer County and Beyond
Child custody is a hotly contested issue in many divorces and at the end of non-marital relationships. Some parents are able to agree on arrangements without help, but many custody situations require the help of an experienced family law attorney.
At the Davis Law Firm, LLC, we help parents in New Jersey and Philadelphia reach acceptable custody and visitation arrangements. Our brother and sister team of lawyers understands the importance of the bonds between siblings and between children and parents. You can be confident that we will seek custody arrangements that are in the best interests of your children.
For a consultation with a Trenton child custody lawyer, please call us directly or contact our law office online. We will respond promptly.
Understanding the Child Custody Options
Many different types of custody are available during a divorce proceeding. “Physical custody” is the right of a parent to make day-to-day decisions for the child. “Legal custody,” on the other hand, refers to the right to have input in the child’s upbringing, such as religion and schooling.
Custody arrangements typically include the following:
- Sole physical custody: The child resides primarily with one parent. The other parent usually receives visitation rights.
- Sole legal custody: One parent has the exclusive right to control the major decisions (i.e. medical, school, etc.) in the child’s life. The most common type of sole custody is sole physical custody with joint legal custody and a generous visitation schedule for the noncustodial parent.
- Joint custody: Parents share responsibility for decision-making, physical control/custody of the children, or both.
- Split custody: Each parent takes custody of different children. This is not a common arrangement.
- Shared parenting: Children usually spend equal amounts of time with each parent, and the parents share legal and physical custody.
Methods of Resolving Child Custody
When couples cannot reach an agreement on their own, the following procedures are available to resolve the situation:
- Temporary hearings: If custody is contested after the initial divorce papers are filed, the court will make temporary custody arrangements that last until the divorce is finalized.
- Mediation: The couple can work with a specially trained, neutral third party to resolve their custody dispute.
- Custody evaluations: When parties cannot agree on custody before trial, the court will order an evaluation by an outside expert. The court will rely on the expert’s opinion when making a custody decision.
- Custody trials: Custody will be determined during a trial if no other method is successful.
Modifying Custody and Visitation
If you need help changing an existing child custody order, our New Jersey lawyers can help. We handle post-judgment modifications for clients seeking to relocate and those who have experienced other substantial changes in their lives.
Contact a Hamilton Visitation Lawyer
To learn more about the Davis Law Firm’s approach to child custody and visitation, please call us directly or contact our Hamilton law office online.