Trenton Shoplifting Lawyers
Experienced Trenton Shoplifting Lawyers Protect The Rights Of Those Charged With Shoplifting In New Jersey
Shoplifting is often thought of as a minor crime that is committed by a teenager who is merely trying to swipe something small from a store. But shoplifting is not a minor offense. And shoplifting is not a crime that is limited to juveniles. There are, in fact, stiff penalties for the crime of shoplifting in New Jersey and if you or a loved one has been charged, it is in your best interests to promptly get to work on planning your defense with dedicated Trenton Shoplifting Lawyers from Davis Law Firm, LLC.
Experience matters when defending a criminal charge, including a charge of shoplifting. It is not uncommon for an individual to be falsely accused. The Trenton shoplifting attorneys at the Davis Law Firm, LLC have extensive experience defending a charge of shoplifting — more than 20 years of experience — with a demonstrated track record of success defending our New Jersey clients.
Shoplifting In New Jersey Is More Than Just Taking Something From A Store
Shoplifting is often thought of as taking something from a store without paying. And that is true. However, in the state of New Jersey, there are a few other actions that also constitute “shoplifting” and it is important to understand those actions, particularly if you are facing a shoplifting charge. Shoplifting in New Jersey is a serious offense.
New Jersey considers any of the following to be shoplifting offenses:
- Intentionally removing merchandise from a store without paying for the merchandise
- Placing store merchandise that has not been paid for into another package with the intent of not paying full value for the merchandise
- Taking store merchandise that is not paid for and concealing it, with the intent of removing it from the store without paying for it
- Purposefully trying to undervalue the price of store merchandise in an effort to remove the merchandise from the store for less than its full monetary value
- Altering merchandise price tags with the purpose of avoiding paying the full value of the merchandise
Were you or a loved one charged with shoplifting in New Jersey? Arrange for a free consultation with the Trenton shoplifting attorneys at the Davis Law Firm, LLC.
Penalties For Shoplifting In New Jersey
In the Garden State, the penalties for shoplifting are based on the value of the merchandise that was stolen. Shoplifting conviction penalties are as follows:
- Value of stolen merchandise is less than $200: this level of shoplifting is considered a disorderly offense in New Jersey and the penalties include jail time of up to six months, drivers’ license suspension, probation, monetary fines, and a minimum of ten days of community service
- Value of stolen merchandise is between $200 and $500: New Jersey considers this level of shoplifting a fourth-degree offense and the penalties may include jail time for a period of 18 months, monetary fines of up to $10,000, and mandatory community service
- Value of stolen merchandise is between $500 and $75,000: New Jersey considers this level of shoplifting a third-degree offense and the penalties may include prison time of up to five years and mandatory community service
- Value of stolen merchandise is greater than $75,000: New Jersey considers this level of shoplifting a second-degree crime and the penalties may include prison time of 5 to 10 years in addition to significant monetary fines
It is important to note that, in New Jersey, store owners are also given the opportunity to recover all of the monetary losses that they have incurred due to the shoplifting. These losses may include court fees that the store owner had to pay as it relates to the shoplifting case and this is in addition to the other penalties that a shoplifting conviction brings.
Facing A New Jersey Shoplifting Charge? Knowledgeable Trenton Shoplifting Lawyers At The Davis Law Firm, LLC Skilled At Developing Personalized Defense Strategies
Don’t brush off a shoplifting charge as something you don’t have to worry about. Shoplifting is a serious offense that can have a long-term impact on your life. Let us help. The Trenton shoplifting lawyers at the Davis Law Firm, LLC are a dynamic brother and sister legal team who is dedicated to protecting the rights of the accused and developing a personalized strategic defense of the shoplifting charges brought against you. We share more than two decades of experience and our talented criminal defense attorneys offer a free initial case evaluation. To schedule your free initial consultation, contact our office today.