If you were arrested for a DUI in Trenton, NJ, the DUI defense lawyers at the Davis Law Firm can help.
A DUI charge can have a lasting impact on your life. If you take action soon and hire the right legal representation, you may be able to get your charge dropped.
Potential DUI Consequences in New Jersey
In New Jersey, a DUI is considered to be a traffic violation rather than a criminal offense. However, that doesn’t mean that it is free of consequences. A DUI in New Jersey can lead to:
- A suspended driver’s license for a minimum of three months
- A minimum of 12 hours of jail time
- Legal fines between $250- $400
- An annual vehicle surcharges of $1,000
- Potential requirement of an ignition interlock system
- Alcohol abuse assessment requirement
- Mandatory classes at an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)
- Additional legal fees up to $525
- Additional fines if the offense occurred in a school zone
- Cost of a driver’s license reinstatement fee
It is important to note that these charges are for first-time DUI offenders with a BAC of below 0.10 percent. If you have previous offenses or your BAC was over 0.10 percent, then the charges may be even more severe. Whether you are dealing with a first-time DUI offense, or this is another DUI offense, it is important to reach out to a lawyer as soon as possible.
Read more: DUI or DWI Punishments and Penalties
Potential DUI Legal Defenses
You might wonder how your lawyer can help with your DUI charges. There are a few common defenses that we may consider:
- Illegal stop: Police officers must follow certain rules and laws when pulling you over. If they fail to do that, then we may be able to void your charges.
- Medical or health issues: Certain medical problems can cause you to fail a sobriety test, even if you’re not intoxicated. Additionally, medicine can make it difficult to know your BAC.
- Unreliable testing: Standardized field sobriety tests are not always accurate or reliable. If there is any question as to theaccuracy, then we may further evaluate that.
- Request evidence: Some police departments require officers to video traffic stops. If we can gather this evidence, we can determine how bad the sobriety test really was. In some cases, it may be the police officer’s word against the defendant.
There are many other defenses to consider, like if the breathalyzer test was working properly, or if it expired. It is also possible that the police officer didn’t administer the test properly. These are all things that should be considered to ensure you received fair treatment. We may also call on the process, ensuring that you receive discovery and access to a speedy trial. If there are any wrongdoings in your case, we will find them.
Don’t Let a DUI Affect Your Future
A DUI can have more of an impact on you than just the expensive fines and potential jail time. It can also affect your current or potential employment. You may have to attend alcohol counseling sessions or if you lose your driver’s license, you may lose your job. Don’t let the potential consequences affect your future.
Contact an Experienced Lawrence DWI Defense Attorney About Your Drunk Driving Charges in New Jersey
Have you been charged with a DWI or DUI offense in New Jersey? A drunk driving conviction could leave you with a permanent record, and it could result in your driver’s license being suspended for a very long time. That is why it is imperative that you speak with a qualified DWI defense lawyer about your case. The lawyers at The Davis Law Firm, LLC represent clients charged with drunk driving, breath test refusal, and related offenses in Hamilton, Trenton, Ewing, Lawrence, and throughout New Jersey. Call 609-587-9100 or fill out our confidential online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office located at 2653 Nottingham Way, Hamilton Township, NJ 08619.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.