Were You Charged With a Crime? Here Are 10 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer
By Davis Law Firm | January 9, 2021
Were you recently charged with drug possession, assault or another type of crime in Hamilton, New Jersey? If so, you may have considered hiring a criminal defense lawyer. Many people wonder if there is any benefit to working with a criminal defense lawyer, most notably how they can help defend against severe charges. Here are the top 10 reasons why you should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible:
Benefits of Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
- They know what to expect: Knowing what to expect for upcoming trial dates and hearings is important to your case. A criminal defense lawyer has been through this process numerous times in your local court systems and can offer you guidance on what to expect with each upcoming court date.
- They can help you navigate the often-confusing legal system: The New Jersey Legal system can be confusing and difficult to navigate, especially if this is your first time being charged with a crime. It’s important to stay within time limits and know your hearing timeline. Your lawyer will ensure that your case stays on track and meets the state’s legal requirements.
- They can help negotiate on your behalf: Depending on the circumstances of your case and your criminal record (or lack thereof), the prosecutor may be open to negotiating your charges. Your criminal defense lawyer will be able to analyze what’s being offered and provide guidance on whether or not you should accept the prosecutor’s negotiation.
- They will build your defense: There are numerous defenses available to certain types of New Jersey’s criminal charges; your criminal defense lawyer will help you build a defense based on the specific circumstances of your case.
- They will conduct an investigation into your case: Building your defense may require an investigation into the details of what happened; your lawyer will use their investigative skills to uncover details that may be useful to securing a plea bargain, reducing your charges or in some cases, proving your innocence if you’ve been falsely charged for a crime you didn’t commit.
- They will gather evidence: Evidence may be needed to support your legal defense and your lawyer will track down this evidence by way of witness interviews and other methods.
- They will find and secure expert witnesses: Expert witnesses are often a part of criminal defense cases due to their experience and knowledge in certain areas such as blood splatter, DNA testing, forensics, drug recognition and more. Your lawyer will hire expert witnesses, as needed.
- They may be able to reduce your charges: Your criminal defense lawyer may be able to get your proposed charges reduced, which could mean less jail time for you or fewer legal fines.
- They may be able to help you avoid jail time: Jail time is a possibility with many criminal charges. Your lawyer will work to keep you out of jail, even if this means community service or mandatory drug or alcohol classes in return for not having to do jail time.
- They’re here to help you avoid a criminal record: A criminal record can negatively impact your life for years to come, making it nearly impossible to secure an education, housing, employment and loans. Your lawyer will work to not only reduce your criminal charges, but also to protect your record from these potentially life-changing criminal charges.
As noted, there are a number of different reasons to work with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Whether you are dealing with driving while intoxicated charges or you have pending drug charges against you, it’s important to consider what these charges can mean for your future. While you may be tempted to go it alone, this can be a mistake that can cost you your future.
Work With a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Defendants that work with a lawyer will often receive a better deal. In some cases, the prosecutor may agree to reduce charges in return for admitting guilt. This is referred to as a plea deal. It is sometimes a desirable option because it can result in a lesser sentence, meaning you get to move forward with your life a lot sooner.
Contact an Experienced Trenton Criminal Defense Lawyer About Your Charges in New Jersey
Were you arrested or charged with shoplifting, drug possession or weapons possession in the state of New Jersey? The consequences of a conviction could be severe, leaving you with a permanent criminal record and possibly even sending you to jail. That is why you need to speak with a qualified criminal defense attorney as soon as possible about your case. The attorneys at the Davis Law Firm, LLC have successfully represented clients charged with criminal charges in Ewing, East Windsor, Trenton, Hamilton and throughout New Jersey. Call 609-587-9100 or fill out the online contact form to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team. We have an office conveniently located at 2653 Nottingham Way, Hamilton, NJ 08619
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.